TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY...

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE FIRST ENTRY OF HOWARD'S JOURNAL. THEN CLICK "NEWER POST" AFTER EACH ENTRY.

Or click on individual chapters in the "History" column to the right. (Helpful hint: click on any image to enlarge)

Tuesday

30. Continuing North Up The Peninsula

Wednesday, June 14, 1944
Trip with engineer equipment. Anzio to E 222, Civitavecchia.

Ancient ruins in the village of Civitavecchia, Italy. [photo by Vincenzo Surace]

Thursday, June 15, 1944
Get back to camp.

Friday June 16, 1944
Ammo haul Anzio to Q 438, 70 miles north of Rome on highway 2. Back in camp at 2 p.m. on June 17th. 270 mile trip.

Sunday, June 18, 1944
Company moves north to Civitavecchia. I get catch in my back I have lame back, am on sick book.

Continuing north up the peninsula.

Saturday, June 24, 1944
Have been laid up for last few days with lame back. We now have several 4 ton trucks in company.

Sunday, June 25, 1944
I start to work after a week lay off on account of a lame back. Haul ammo 0447 to 0440, 160 mile trip. See Raymond Stokes at 0447.

Monday, June 26 1944
Schuster goes to Rome on pass. I stay in camp. Raymond Stokes visits me all afternoon.


My old friend Raymond Stokes in on right. We hail from the same small town of Hewitt, Minnesota.


Italy
June 26, 1944
Dear Folkes,

Well, I finally got to see Raymond. I saw him yesterday in a supply dump. He was taking a truck load to the dump, and I was getting a load to take to another place. We talked for about an hour and today he didn't have to work so he came over to see me and stayed all afternoon, as I didn't work today either. We had a good visit, really talked over old times. Our camps are about eight miles apart.
I started to work yesterday after a weeks lay off on account of a lame back. I hurt my back by stooping over and raising up. Just a catch in the back you know. It's alright now. I don't suppose Ray and I will be this close together very long. This is the first time we have been so close together. I don't know where Chester Tonnar is now.
Love, Howard.



Wednesday, June 28, 1944
I haul Italion rations Q 545 to Lake Bracciano, then go to Tuscicania. A 160 mile trip.

Scenic Lake Bracciano, the remnants of an extinct volcano, is located just 18 miles northwest of downtown Rome. [public domain]

Thursday, June 29, 1944
I don't work, so in afternoon I go and visit Raymond.

Friday, June 30, 1944
I go on pass to Rome. See Coliseum and St. Peter's Cathedral. See stage show (GI) and move, "Sweet Rosie O'Grady," with Betty Grable.

Snapshots I took of St. Peter's Cathedral and Castle St. Angelo while on my first pass to Rome.


[courtesy: www.moviegoods.com]
Saturday, July 1, 1944
I haul in convoy 5th Army C.P. to 15 miles above Grasita. A 183 mile trip.

Sunday, July 2, 1944
I make short trip. Gas for trans-motor pool.

Monday, July 3, 1944
Schuster is driving 4 ton'er. I still have no. 6, but water boy is using it.

Tuesday, July 4, 1944
I spend day working on 4 ton truck.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I have a picture of my Grandpa Herman Marsh with Joe Stokes from way back. Do you know what the relation was between Joe and Raymond?

The Original Diary

The Original Diary
Here is the inspiration and primary source for this entire blog. Note the year for these entries was actually 1943, although Howard was using pages from 1942, as evidenced by the mention of the cities of Morsot and Tebessa and the fact that Howard was still in basic training in Texas in March 1942. He had to be creative with his limited resources and use whatever paper was available, which made researching this project somewhat of a puzzle at first.