TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY...

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE FIRST ENTRY OF HOWARD'S JOURNAL. THEN CLICK "NEWER POST" AFTER EACH ENTRY.

Or click on individual chapters in the "History" column to the right. (Helpful hint: click on any image to enlarge)

Tuesday

6. Basic Training Continues

April 1942

A typical day at Camp Wolters:
6:00 AM: Reveille
6:45 AM: Breakfast
7:00 AM: Clean up
7:30 AM - 12 NOON: Drill and Instruction
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM: Instruction (radio school)
5:15 PM: Retreat
5:30 PM: Dinner
5:30 PM - 11:00 PM: Free time
11:00 PM: Taps

True Story: I was getting basic training in Camp Wolters, Texas, one of the guys was on guard duty. They sent him to the hospital to guard a prisoner. A kid who was serving time in the guard house became very sick and was in the hospital. The army rules are that a prisoner must be guarded at all times. This kid was very sick, in fact, on his death bed. They had called his family in. He was dying with pneumonia. The guard said, 'There I sat with my rifle in my hands. The kid died. The mother and sister were crying. Did I ever feel out of place.'




The Camp Wolters Longhorn was the camp newspaper "Published for soldiers by soldiers." We could send these home so our family and friends could keep updated on what we were doing.


This is from a copy of The Longhorn that I sent home. I wrote at the top of the page "The man at the top is one of my instructors" for radio school, which I am currently attending.



My handwritten notes from radio school classes. This was a crash course and a lot of information had to be digested quickly. Luckily, I had a pretty good radio background already.




Not all of our time was spent in drill and instruction. I snapped this picture (left) of a bunch of soldiers lining up to get into the camp movie theater. The photo to the right is of the very same building in the early 1970s, taken from almost the exact same position [courtesy: www.fwcvhpa.com].



Caption on back of picture: "Me, Clarence Hazleton of Mpls is in center, Reuben Johnson from Henning is on the right. We were eating ice cream." Camp Wolters, Texas.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Sam, I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this blog. I look forward to it each week. Having been exposed to so much WWII history from my parents, it's nice to get a bit of different perspective on it all.

That Damn Sam said...

You are welcome! I am enjoying putting it all together! Keep reading, the story gets better and better (and a little exciting, too).

WWII Radio Heroes said...

Hi Sam. Thank you for your blog. My grandfather was a POW for 26 months during WWII. When he was captured people (here in the US) used their short wave radios to listen to the enemy and then send notes to families of POWs. We received almost 70 letters notifying us that he was captured in Germany. I was so moved I put that story in a book. We have to keep sharing these great stories together. Thank you for your dedication to doing so.

Lisa Spahr, Author
www.powletters.com

WWII Radio Heroes said...

Hi again Sam. Thanks for the post!

My book is available at all bookstores- or they can order it, amazon.com and powletters.com. The audio book is only available via my site at powletters.com but the book is widely available- and makes a great fundraiser!

Keep up the great work!

Lisa Spahr, Author of World War II Radio Heroes

The Original Diary

The Original Diary
Here is the inspiration and primary source for this entire blog. Note the year for these entries was actually 1943, although Howard was using pages from 1942, as evidenced by the mention of the cities of Morsot and Tebessa and the fact that Howard was still in basic training in Texas in March 1942. He had to be creative with his limited resources and use whatever paper was available, which made researching this project somewhat of a puzzle at first.