TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY...

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE FIRST ENTRY OF HOWARD'S JOURNAL. THEN CLICK "NEWER POST" AFTER EACH ENTRY.

Or click on individual chapters in the "History" column to the right. (Helpful hint: click on any image to enlarge)

Friday

43. War Is Over, But Work Continues

WAR UPDATE: May 8, 1945. V-E Day declared (Victory in Europe).


Tuesday, May 8, 1945
Very hot weather the last few days. Hear Churchill on radio. He announces V Day starting at midnite tonite. My truck is on run.

Wednesday, May 9, 1945
I get trip in convoy from company area. I pull PBS trailer to Q532. Back at 6 p.m.

Thursday, May 10, 1945
We get the dope on the point system for discharging. I have at least 92, possibly more. Our letters are no longer censored.

Friday, May 11, 1945
I find out I have 102 points for discharge.

Saturday, May 12, 1945
I go Q520 to Q540.


Sunday, May 13, 1945
We move to Verona.


We move from our soccer stadium camp in Modena north to the city of Verona.

Monday, May 14, 1945
I haul prisoners to Modena. Go to PBS 110 to get our trailers, then to Q52. Finally haul rations Q531 to Q533.


A snapshot I took of the thousands and thousands of German prisoners we are now transporting. Most of these fellows were not fanatical Nazis; they were farmers and tradesmen conscripted into the German army and forced to fight. They were looking forward to returning home to their families just as much as we were.

Wednesday, May 16, 1945
See movie, "Two Down and One to Go." My truck is out on prisoner haul. Schuster is laid up.


Two Down and One to Go was a war documentary directed by Frank Capra, pictured here editing a film as a major in the Signal Corps Reserve during World War II. [public domain]

Thursday, May 17, 1945
My truck gets back shortly after noon. I go swimming in Lake Garda. My truck has load of gasoline on it.

Friday, May 18, 1945
At 1:00 a.m. I get trip to Q546, a D company (3639) truck load of gas burns up. We get back in evening, a 283 mile trip.

Saturday, May 19, 1945
My truck was out and back in this morning at 10:30 a.m. I go to pick up prisoners on Route 47, haul to Modena and bring back hay to Q5-101. A 330 mile trip. Back in camp on May 20th in p.m.

Monday, May 21, 1945
Schuster starts driving again. Goes to Modena Q531 to haul rations to Q57. We have company formation in evening and find out our outfit will be broke up.

Tuesday, May 22, 1945
I get trip to Modena in evening. Haul gas to Q542. Get prisoners and bring to company. Back at 7 p.m. on May 23rd. Schuster takes load to Modena and comes back empty early next morning (May 24th).


Another letter home postmarked May 23, 1945.

Thursday, May 24, 1945
My truck is deadlined to get radiator fixed. We have a new colonel. I spend most of day tinkering on truck.


This is me refueling my truck in Verona, shortly after the armistice. Even though the war is over, we are very busy as a transportation unit.

No comments:

The Original Diary

The Original Diary
Here is the inspiration and primary source for this entire blog. Note the year for these entries was actually 1943, although Howard was using pages from 1942, as evidenced by the mention of the cities of Morsot and Tebessa and the fact that Howard was still in basic training in Texas in March 1942. He had to be creative with his limited resources and use whatever paper was available, which made researching this project somewhat of a puzzle at first.